Stampin’ Up! Demonstrator Karen Robinson – 12 Weeks of Halloween 2016 – Week 10
Welcome back for a second Halloween project this week, today I’m using the new 2 x 8″ (5.1 x 20.3cm) Cellophane Bags from the Annual Catalogue, these bags replace the old 1 x 8″ ones and that extra width really does make them more versatile, there are loads of different things that will fit in these ones.
Just before I begin today’s project I have a couple of announcements to share, Stampin’ Up! has brought back the:
Stampin’ Trimmer Replacement Cutting Mat (item # 131375) and
Stampin’ Trimmer Scoring Blades (item # 126996)
both of these items are available to purchase from today. Yay!!! 🙂
Unfortunately, the Handheld Stapler (item # 139083) and coordinating Silver Mini Staples (item# 135847) are being discontinued due to issues with the supplier and are only available while stocks last. Both of these items were in low inventory this morning (in Australia) and if you’d like one don’t wait, I think they’ll be gone soon 😦
I made some very generous toppers for these little bags using the Halloween Night DSP, Pumpkin Pie Glimmer Paper and the Cookie Cutter Halloween stamp set. (I’ll share a few tips at the end on how to be a bit more economical with your supplies than I’ve been, I’m just on a bit of a mission to use up as much of my Halloween product as possible at the moment).
The large banner was made with a piece of DSP cut at 2 x 6″ and scored @ 2″, the smaller banner uses a 1-1/2 x 2-1/2″ piece. I flagged the ends of both banners using the Triple Banner Punch before adhering them together with an even border towards the bottom of the larger banner.
A 5″ length of Burlap Ribbon and the 2″ Pumpkin Pie Glimmer Paper circle were adhered to the banner using the Handheld Stapler, the stamped image was attached to the circle with dimensionals which covered the staple nicely.
A quick back view, one with the back side flagged, the others plain.
The scarecrow and vampire were stamped in Basic Black ink and coloured with markers. The little pegs are from my stash, I covered them with Halloween Night Washi Tape to dress them up a bit and added a couple of enamel dots to the lighter ones. ( Note: Mini Clothespins item# 133764 are still available in the Clearance Rack for $3.50AUD for 24 if you like this look)
The mummy and skeleton were stamped using Basic Grey ink onto Thick Whisper White cardstock and lightly water coloured using Smoky Slate ink.
The peg is doing double duty by keeping the bag closed and attaching the topper, it makes accessing the yummies easy and the recipient can re-purpose the topper if they’d like to – I know I would 🙂
Cost saving tips:
1. Make the banner shorter (try a 2 x 4″ strip and score @ 1″) and only have one layer.
2. Don’t have the Triple Banner Punch? You can flag the ends by hand, simply cut up the centre as deep as you’d like your flag to be and then cut from each outside corner to the centre cut.
3. Use a different glimmer paper if you don’t have Pumpkin Pie (silver would be nice) or stamp a Halloween sentiment as a background on plain cardstock and use that instead.
4. The pegs would look just as cute plain or you could simply staple the finished topper to the top of the bag.
5. You could watercolour all the images instead of using markers or vice versa or leave them uncoloured, they’ll look just as sweet.
6. Don’t have burlap ribbon? A bow in doubled baker’s twine would look lovely or add an overhanging sentiment instead.
7. Cut the bag down, a smaller bag takes less to fill and suits smaller/simpler decoration.
8. Check out the Clearance Rack, there’s stacks of products at hugely reduced prices (it’s a great place to look for retired ribbon that still co-ordinates with current colours).
I hope these ideas are useful, I know what it’s like to see projects and not have the products to make them, it’s taken me a few years to build up my tool and colour collection (I still don’t have them all) and I still quite often have to improvise as well.
I hope you liked today’s project and that you’ll come back to see my Christmas versions, they might be a bit later this week though as I’m extra busy.
See you soon.
Click here to shop with me
To receive a free Holiday Catalogue 2016, click here
12 Weeks of Halloween 2016 – Week 10 – Supplies
Cookie Cutter Halloween // 142255
Cookie Cutter Builder Punch // 140396
Crumb Cake cardstock // 121685
Halloween Night Specialty DSP // 142022
Pumpkin Pie Glimmer Paper // 142029
Thick Whisper White cardstock // 140490
Basic Black inkpad // 140931
Basic Grey inkpad // 140932
2 x 8″ (5.1 x 20.3cm) Cellophane Bags // 141703
Burlap Ribbon // 141487
Handheld Stapler // 139083
2″ Circle Punch // 133782
Triple Banner Punch // 138292